What is the difference between these majors?

Question by xo_smiley_face_x3: What is the difference between these majors?
I’m really interested in advertising and the layout of newspapers and magazines for a career, particularly advertising. So I’ve done research on Communication Media, Communication Studies, and Graphic Design with a concentration in Advertising.
Now what is the difference, and could you possibly recommend one for me?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Best answer:

Answer by Shea
If you are interested in news paper design, a college degree may not be necessary. My sister is the manager of Ad Production of our local newspaper (the only one in a town of about 90,000) and she is in charge of hiring new people. One thing to consider is that the newspaper industry is in a lot of trouble right now. Many large news papers are tanking and even established news papers are laying people off or shutting down completely. So it is going to be hard to find a job in the paper industry. She is a self taught graphic artist and was able to work her way up. None of the people on her staff have college degrees. She constantly gets resumes from people with degrees in communication and graphic design but they are simple over qualified for newspaper production because the paper does not have the budget to hire such highly qualified people. The average salary is low for newspaper ad producers, so that is something to consider if you really want to go into it. One good way to get into the system is to just apply for an entry level job with the design department, if you have talent then you could be producing ads in no time!
Depending on the school, there may be many differences between the degrees you mentioned above. Graphic Design with concentration in Adv may be what you are looking for if you want to go into the paper business. Communication studies may focus more on the many different ways of communication including advertisement but may not be limited to that. The same goes for Com Media. At the school i go to, the university of north texas, there is a Communication Design program in which the students learn to do corporate design (ie. magazine ads, corporate logos etc) and package design (ie cereal boxes, new product design ect). Grads of the program go off to work for big advertisement firms and perhaps large newspapers.
To get a feel for the market and what newspapers in your community look for in qualified applicants, email the Ad production manager of your local paper and ask him or her what degree, if any, they would recommend to become a part of their team.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!